arrow icon corporate-sponsorship checkmark email external link icon facebook corporate-membership twitter

Q stock restoration

Help keep the Q stock restoration on track

London Transport Museum are restoring three octogenarian art -deco sub-surface Q stock cars back to their former glory.

London Transport Museum are restoring three octogenarian art -deco sub-surface Q stock cars back to their former glory.

A total of five Q stock cars still survive today, all of which are in the care of our Museum.

A mix of retired professionals and young adults are endeavouring to restore three out of the five surviving cars back to their former magnificence.

  • 08063, built in 1935, withdrawn from passenger service in 1971, and presented to the Museum in 1997
  • 4416, built in 1938, and withdrawn from passenger service in 1971
  • 4417, built in 1938, and withdrawn from passenger service in 1971.

Bob Bedford, Adrian Morris, Steven Green and Jeremy Bentham talk about the current restoration process taking place.

Our story so far…

Q23 driving motor 4248 is on static display in the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden for visitors to enjoy but it only tells part of the story.

With your help we can complete the restoration of three Q stock cars which tell the transport story of:

  • Evacuating children from London during the Second World War using trains on the District line
  • Rebuilding of post-war London and serving the 1948 Olympics in London
  • Developing London’s Theatre land otherwise known as the West End.

Extensive funding will be required to begin restoration work on the fifth car, 4184, built in 1923.

London Transport Museum Friends

Thanks to a significant bequest from the late Bob Greenaway and individual donations made to London Transport Museum Friends have helped us get to the first significant milestone of major engineering works on car 4417 but we need your help to progress the restoration further.

If we raise more money than is needed for this project, any additional funds will go to care of the Museum’s collection.